Friday 20 June 2014

A past life in the world of architecture...


Balsa structural model - 1st year
Well, this week my year in uni received their results for their Masters in Architecture... Why was I not with them, you may ask?  That'd be a long story, but suffice it to say it was one of the hardest decisions of my life so far, and yet one that I don't regret.

Haberdasher's Hall scale model, 2nd Year
I've always had an interest in it, and still do - I love seeing what people on my class have been working on, though there's only one friend I keep in touch with now, a very good and kind friend who was my tea and model making buddy! :)

Wee mannie in final conceptual model, 2nd year

My time was not wasted, and what I learnt - both academically and with regards to life - has been invaluable.  My husband, as you may know, is a stonemason (fancy that, architecture student and a stonemason!) and when he comes home from work I understand most of what he tells me because of what I learnt (the rest I quiz him until I do!) For example, tonight we were re-pointing the cement around our window and he let me have a go - I rather enjoyed it and it wasn't too bad for a first attempt haha!

Quaker Meeting House, Stonehaven - 2nd year

I sometimes wonder what life would've been like if I'd carried on, but then I would've been miserable and stressed, we would've got married later and I wouldn't in all likelihood have my two precious little children.  Some people see going to uni and getting a degree as the be all and end all for school pupils, but though it definitely has it's place - it's not for everyone, it was never meant to be. 


My last proper Studio project in 3rd year - a library in St. Andrews

Mr P. is a building geek sometimes (in the best sense!) as he has books and books on masonry, surveying, building history, technical details...  I was going to sell most of my textbooks after uni, he had a flick through and decided to keep them all! haha!  I never had his passion for my course, I should've known, but I was too scared of what people would say if I of all people left - what, Kathelle, the Dux?? Yes, me.  I would've loved to study embroidery with the Royal School of Needlework or done Textiles in Art School (I think the latter would've been more me), but we are where we are.  God's plans are beyond our reasoning and so much better in the long run that anything we'd do! 

Waldorf School, Stonehaven - 2nd year

Look up! Conceptual project, 2nd year

I am now a sewing and quilting geek - I love to find out new techniques, more about different materials, trying out new things, buying more books... I have a passion for what I do now that is greater than what I have for architecture.  Sure, it's a great thing to be able to design people's homes and public buildings but I want to fill those homes with pattern and colour and warmth that only textiles and quilts can bring.  I can only do small things at the moment, but it's the small details that make a difference...   


1 comment:

  1. When you pare it back it's all creativity in the end, be it huge hulks of concrete or single stitches of thread.
    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete