Tuesday 6 May 2014

EJ's Quilt - Part 1



I found this quilt pattern on Pinterest a while back and loved it so much I just had to make it!  

It's called "Windy Days" and is by Sarah Meyer as part of Moda Bake Shop, which has heaps of ideas and projects for pre-cuts.


It seemed the perfect choice for a cot quilt for EJ when she gets big enough, which gives me a wee bit of time to get it sorted...  link to pattern here.


I found this cool pinwheel fabric at "The Sew Room" in Alford.  I wanted to include it somehow, but I couldn't quite decide how... (in typical fashion haha!)  Eventually, I decided to use it as the border fabric to make the quilt a bit bigger, and I used it to select the colours for the pinwheels.  
 There's blues, pinks, purples, greens and a little bit of orange, which sounds a bit mental written down but it looks really good.



 The pattern is technically for a charm pack and that would be the easiest and most sensible option, but I couldn't see any that I liked enough in the right colours.  So, I bought some fat quarters in bold, punchy colours like pinks, orange, teal and purple and cut my own "charm pack" (a charm pack is a pre-cut pack of 5" fabric squares)  I also cut far too many in my enthusiasm... so, I'll pick the best and use the rest in the back somehow haha! :)


Whilst feeding EJ a few months ago (she's 5 months now) I watched a few Eleanor Burns videos on youtube and learnt this "swirling" technique for the back which works soo much better that whatever I used to do.  This is only my second quilt, the first one I made was for DJ, I'll show pics of it in another post.


 This was the first attempt at the layout when I'd sewn enough pinwheels together.  I wasn't too happy with it as the colours were nice but it was a bit pilly wally... and lacked the bold colourful look I was wanting for it.  

 

Solution: more contrast and more turquoise!

The large pinwheel at the top right didn't stand out enough either so I changed it from this



 to this, and I'm so much happier with it.


slightly crumpled by a little boy!
more crumpling... haha!
and I lost one :( (not his fault, mine this time!)
Only one lost casualty which wasn't too bad going with the to-ing and fro-ing and floating about for a month or so waiting patiently on the table.  I'll try to arrange it again soon, but it'll have to be in the evenings or there'll be a pinwheel thief on the loose! (Can you tell I tried it before... bad plan, haha!)

Kathelle x

No comments:

Post a Comment